Don't worry...these ones are much simpler...
- Check your oil lamps – are the wicks okay, do you have enough oil?
- Check the food in your kitchen – throw out any cans that are bulging or
swollen, any food that looks like rodents or bugs may have been enjoying
it and any expired food
- Make a list of what you’re throwing out (or just plain need) so you can
- If you’re concerned about your well water quality – have it tested by your
local health unit – click on this link to go to the
Haliburton-Kawartha-Pine Ridge Health Unit’s website for more
on well-water testing and where to drop off your water sample
- Check your flashlight batteries and stock up on spares
- Check your medicine cabinet and first aid kits – are you missing
anything, anything expired, running low on anything...if so replace it
- Check your life jackets for rodent damage and general wear & tear –
if you don’t think they’re safe – DON’T USE THEM – replace them
- If you have kids, check to see if last year’s life jackets still fit -
if they don't, replace them
- Bring out the porch and dock furniture – give it a good spring cleaning!
- Get out the beach toys and your other recreational items
- Put away your bird feeders or make sure they're out of reach
of our hungry bears
- Check your propane tank(s) for your bar b q – it’s always handy to have
a second one full and ready so you don’t run out during the middle of
cooking your meal
Part 2 of 2 of Cottage Opening Series
Go to PART 1 - COTTAGE OPENING SERIES
Again, this one can be printed to bring to the cottage,
click on MORE COTTAGE OPENING TIPS for a printable, PDF file.